• Started all 16 regular season games and both postseason contests in his second NFL season and has now appeared in all 38 (regular and postseason) games for the Cardinals in his first two campaigns.
• Including the postseason, has 23 total TDs (21 rushing, 2 receiving) in 38 career games played.
• With a team-high eight rushing TDs in 2009, his 18 rushing TDs in his first two seasons tied Ottis Anderson (1980-81) and Ernie Nevers (1929-30) for the franchise record for most rushing TDs in consecutive seasons.
• Rushed for 598 yards on 143 carries in 2009, with his 4.2 average marking a drastic improvement over the 2.8 average from his rookie season of 2008.
• Finished second in the NFL among RBs with 63 receptions during the 2009 season (Ray Rice, 78). His 428 receiving yards were the highest total by a Cardinals running back since Michael Pittman had 579 receiving yards in 2000.
• With 12 receptions for 121 yards in week 1 against San Francisco in ‘09, became the first Cardinals running back with 100+ yards receiving in a game since Larry Centers totaled 108 yards on 11 receptions at Indianapolis on 9/1/96. His 12 receptions tied for the second-highest single-game total by a running back in franchise history, matching Larry Centers (12, vs. Dal, 12/25/95) and Ottis Anderson (12, at Was, 12/16/84).
• His 70-yard TD run on the first play of the Divisional game vs. New Orleans in 2009 tied for the second-longest run in franchise postseason history and the longest run for a Cardinals player since Adrian Murrell’s 74-yard run against the Cowboys during the 1998 postseason.
• Led team and tied for the lead among NFL rookies with a franchise rookie record 10 rushing TDs in 2008.
• In the ’08 postseason, became the first NFL rookie to register a TD in each of his first three playoff games since 49ers FB William Floyd in 1994.
• With rushing TDs in each of his first two games as a rookie in ’08, became the first Cardinals player with rushing TDs in each of his first two games.
• Along with WRs Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, scored at least 10 TDs in 2008, marking the first time three Cardinals players each surpassed 10 TDs in a season. It marked just the seventh time since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger that three players on the same team registered 10 TDs in the same season.
Selected by the Cardinals in the fifth-round (149th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. Was not among the 333 players invited to the 2008 NFL Combine but Hightower has appeared in every game, regular and postseason, during his first two NFL campaigns.
2009: Started all 16 regular season games and both postseason contests for the Cardinals ... in the season opener led team with a career-high 12 receptions for 121 yards vs. SF (9/13); became the first Cardinals RB with 100+ receiving yards since Larry Centers had 11 receptions for 108 yards @ Ind, 9/1/96 … had one rushing TD and nine yards on four carries and two receptions for 11 yards @ NYG (10/25); with RBs Jason Wright and Beanie Wells also scoring TDs, it marked the first time since 10/3/04 vs. New Orleans that Arizona had three RBs score TDs in the same game; in just six games, registered 239 yards receiving to surpass rookie mark of 237 yards, set in 16 games … recorded a team-high eight receptions for 57 yards while averaging 4.9 yards per carry on eight attempts (39 yards) with one rushing TD vs. Car (11/1); set a new career-high with 39 receptions in seven games, eclipsing the total from his rookie season of 2008 (34) … led team with 77 yards rushing on 15 carries @ Chi (11/8); part of a rushing attack that totaled 131 yards in the first half and 182 yards for the game … recorded a career-high 110 yards on 14 carries with a regular season career-long 50-yard run and a 7.9 yards per carry average @ StL (11/22); marked second career 100-yard rushing game (109 yards on 22 carries, 11/2/08 @ StL); 50-yard run was the longest by a Cardinal since Troy Hambrick’s 62-yard run @ Mia on 11/7/04 … registered second longest regular season run of his career (32 yards) as part of 50 yards rushing on six carries vs. Min (12/6); marked first time in his career he averaged at least 5.0 yards per carry in three consecutive games … recorded a team-high six receptions for 34 yards while also registering a one-yard rushing TD @ Det (12/20) … two-yard rushing TD vs. StL (12/27) gave him 18 rushing TDs over the last two seasons, tying Ottis Anderson (1980-81) and Ernie Nevers (1929-30) for the franchise record for the most rushing TDs in consecutive seasons … totaled seven carries for 19 yards and a TD and caught three passes for 21 yards in the Wild Card matchup vs. GB (1/10/10) … totaled 87 yards on six carries, including a postseason career-long 70-yard TD on the Cardinals first play from scrimmage in the Divisional matchup @ NO (1/16/10); 70-yard TD tied Elmer Angsman (vs. Phi, 12/28/47) for the longest rushing TD in Cardinals postseason history.
2008: Started seven of 16 games played during the regular season and appeared in all four postseason games as a rookie ... made NFL debut @ SF (9/7) in season opener and scored first career TD on two-yard carry on 4th-and-goal; first Cardinals RB to score a TD in his debut since Ottis Anderson rushed for a 76-yard TD vs. Dal on 9/2/79 ... rushed for 24 yards and a TD vs. Mia (9/14) to become the first Cardinals player with rushing TDs in each of his first two games ... registered a career-high two TDs vs. Buf (10/5); converted a 4th-and-one on the Buffalo 10 yard-line and then scored from two yards out to make it 41-17 in the fourth quarter; teamed with Edgerrin James to record three rushing TDs in back-to-back weeks (@ NYJ, vs. Buf) marking the first time the Cards have had three rushing TDs in back-to-back weeks since 1979 ... on two separate TD drives in the second half, converted two third-and-ones and moved the chains on third-and-17 with a 17-yard reception vs. Dal (10/12) ... in first career start, registered 109 yards on 22 carries with a career-long 30-yard TD run @ StL (11/2); became the first Cardinals rookie to rush for 100 yards since Ronald Moore (135 yards on 12/26/93 vs. NY Giants); 30-yard TD run was longest TD run for the Cardinals since Jake Plummer’s 34-yard TD run @ San Francisco on 10/27/02 ... registered one TD vs. StL (12/7) to give him 10 TDs on the season and break Ronald Moore’s franchise rookie record of nine rushing TDs set in 1993 ... in first postseason game recorded TD that capped off a 14-play, 76-yard drive and gave Arizona a 28-17 lead with under three minutes left in the third quarter vs. Atl (1/3/09); carried the ball a total of four times for 14 yards on the scoring drive ... recorded game-high 76 yards on 17 carries and hauled in first career TD reception @ Car (1/10/09) ... played a crucial role on the 14-play fourth quarter drive that put the Cardinals up for good by converting two third downs and one fourth down vs. Phi (1/19/09); on the biggest play of the season, rushed for six yards on 4th-and-one near midfield, keeping the game-winning drive alive; scored the final go-ahead TD on an eight-yard reception on 3rd-and-goal.
A two-year starter at Richmond, established school career-records for rushing yards (3,617), all-purpose yards (4,448), rushing TDs (34) and total TDs (39) ... earned first-team All-American and unanimous All-Colonial Athletic Association honors as a senior in 2007 after setting school single-season rushing records for yardage (1,924) and TDs (20) … in 49 career games, recorded 38 starts and rushed 704 times for 3,712 yards and 34 TDs … his 1,824 rushing yards in 2007 rank as the third-highest total in Colonial Athletic Association history behind only Jerry Azumah (2,195 in 1998) and Marcel Shipp (2,542 in 1998) … established school season-records with 1,924 rushing yards and 20 TDs as a senior … his 137.4 rushing yards per game led the conference and ranked sixth in the nation … established a school record by scoring 138 points … caught 32 passes for 228 yards and three TDs for a total of 2,152 all-purpose yards … as a junior, started all 11 games and ranked sixth in the league with 850 yards and five TDs on the ground on 177 carries … completed his only collegiate pass for a 24-yard TD vs. William & Mary … started nine of 13 games and gained 777 yards and nine TDs on the ground on 142 attempts as a sophomore … played in all 11 games as a true freshman and started four … rushed 58 times for 161 yards and had 19 receptions for 158 yards.
Full name Timothy Michael Hightower … attended Episcopal (Alexandria, VA) High School where he earned All-State honors in both his junior and senior years … was the team MVP and served as team captain for his last two years … in addition to earning three letters in football, twice lettered in both basketball and track … was a four-time honor roll student and chairman of the Spectrum Club, a diversity organization, during his final two years of high school.