Arizona Cardinals Home: The official source of the latest Cardinals headlines, news, videos, photos, tickets, rosters and game day information
- Hired as Cardinals defensive coordinator on 1/11/19 after spending two seasons (2017-18) as the head coach of the Denver Broncos.
- Joseph has 14 years of NFL coaching experience on the defensive side of the ball, including working as the defensive coordinator with the Cardinals (2019-20), Miami Dolphins (2016) and as the interim coordinator with the Houston Texans in 2013.
- Despite suffering heavy losses on the defensive side of the ball in 2020 – including 20 different players missing a combined 100 games – the Cardinals defense ranked in the top-10 in sacks, red zone percentage, total pass defense, offensive TDs allowed and tackles for loss.
- In two seasons under Joseph, Arizona ranks 7th in the NFL in sacks (88.0), 2nd in tackles for loss (179) and 11th in QB hits (191).
- In his first season with the Cardinals in 2019, LB Chandler Jones was named first-team All-Pro and was a Pro Bowl selection after setting a franchise record with 19.0 sacks (2nd in NFL) to go along with eight forced fumbles (tied for 1st in NFL) and seven strip-sacks (1st in NFL) on his way to earning runner-up for NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.
- With the Broncos in 2017, Denver had the NFL's #3 ranked defense and joined Minnesota as the only teams in the NFL that season to rank in the top-five in both run defense and pass defense. The Broncos ranked #5 in run defense in '17 after finishing the previous year ranked #28 in that category.
- In 2018, the Broncos defense ranked in the top-10 in the NFL in INTs (17), takeaways (28) and sacks (44). Rookie LB Bradley Chubb – Denver's first-round selection in the 2018 NFL Draft – led all NFL rookies with 12.0 sacks that season. Pro Bowl LB Von Miller had 14.5 sacks, tied for fourth in the NFL in 2018. Denver was one of three teams (Seattle, Kansas City) to have two players record double digit sacks in 2018.
- Joseph's teams have ranked in the top-10 in INTs in four of the past seven seasons.
- Four different defensive backs earned a combined five Pro Bowl selections – Johnathan Joseph (2), Reggie Nelson (1), Adam Jones (1) and Walt Harris (1) – during Joseph's time coaching defensive backs in Cincinnati, Houston and San Francisco.
Vance Joseph Focused On Cardinals' Unfinished Business
Defensive Coordinator will have head coaching interview, but Rams come first
Brick By Brick, Vance Joseph Has Built Solid Defense
Continuity with coaching has mattered for Cardinals
Under Vance Joseph, Defense Has Become Cardinal Rule
Lazard latest Packer to land on Covid list ahead of Thursday's game
Cardinals, Kyler Murray Avoiding Sacks Much Better In 2020
Notes: Hopkins TD play lifted from Ohio State; Joseph's OT play calls shine
Vance Joseph: Isaiah Simmons Is Linebacker, But Options Exist
Defensive coordinator looking forward to unit's upgrades
Haason Reddick Move Aids Chandler Jones' Quest For Sacks
Notes: Kyler Murray keeps working toward playing; Fitzgerald's game No. 250
Cardinals Ready To Get Offense Trending Up Again
Notes: Murphy, K. Peterson on injury report; Joseph talks tight end coverage
Vance Joseph Frustrated By "Explosive Plays"
Notes: Murray talent might lead to sacks; Lee sits out